Go Programming on the Rise
The Next Generation of Communication
Go is an open sourced programming language (notably referred to as “Golang”), that was created by Google Inc. in 2009. Go, like other programming language tools, is used to design a proper framework to communicate operating instructions to your computer. What makes Go stand out from it’s competition is it’s ability to simplify the complexities of writing programs in a very fluid way.
Why Go For Go?
At its core, Go is very user friendly. This lang is concise, expressive, readable and garbage collected, which will come in handy when dealing with concurrent programming. Go programs are fast; you can compile and run a program faster than some interpreters. Typical build times for Go programs are leaps and bounds ahead of it’s competitors due to the dependency management of large programs. Go has a clean dependency model built in the language that streamlines the experience and makes the language much more efficient.
In addition to that, “Golang” is open sourced and pulls resources from a large environment of dedicated contributors and developers within it’s community. Go programming was developed by Google to handle the mass scale of programming at the company. Google has stated that they created Go “out of a sense of frustration with the existing systems for programming”. The existing systems that are most commonly used by developers (C++ & Java) did not possess the fluidity and ease of construction that Google would have liked.
Sameer Ajimani of Google was quoted saying that “programming had become too difficult and the choice of languages was partly to blame. One had to choose either efficient compilation, efficient execution, or ease of programming; all three were not available in the same mainstream language”.
Today, people around the world from novice to professional backgrounds are starting up projects using Go. Go’s mission is to provide a tool that enhances programming language with “simple, easy to build and reliable software”.
If you are asking yourself why switch over to another language and use Go, well here are some points to consider.
- First, statically typed languages are efficient, but typically bureaucratic and overly complex.
- Second, dynamic languages can be easy to use, but are error prone, inefficient and break down at scale.
- Lastly, concurrent programming can be a hassle with complex threads and security locks.
Go manages to solve a lot of these problems that stagnate the creative development process. In addition to that, Go believes in code adaptability to keep up in a fast paced environment.
Why developers turn to Go?
The developers feel that it should be a simple task to take a basic design and build upon it in a seamless and natural way. Go is an opinionated language the developers created, provides a layout that ultimately saves you from all the time you would spend working through the complexities of building program. Go aims to be simple and let the compiler do the heavy lifting, which in turn makes you a more productive programmer.
- Go development uses the concept of a workspace, which contains the source files (src), compiled binary files (bin) and packages (pkg).
- Every Go application is made up of packages and, using a Java reference, programs use the main package as the default.
- Unlike PHP, Ruby, Python etc, Go is a compiled language,which means source code (the code you write) is translated into a language that your computer can understand. Therefore before you can write a Go program, you need the Go compiler installed.
- It does’t require a resource heavy IDE to be productive, instead you can use regular IDE (like Sublime or similar)
Google’s upcoming language GO is intended to make developers easy to write programs that get the most out of multicore and networked systems. Go Programming is the most appropriate tool of choice for forward thinking projects right from application virtualization to self hosted Git services. As it stands, Go is a more enjoyable, faster and productive tool for writing programming code than any other language available. If you are looking for a way to expedite the process of programming and simplify your tasks, then look no further than Go program.